Wednesday, November 7, 2007

only people who really like music can listen to music like that

Its clear that Minter truly works against the formal techniques, conventions, and styles, generally found in the art world. I think it holds a lot of value because it provokes an immediate response. It's in-your-face quality produces a powerful aesthetic experience in the viewer, and forces the viewer to make a judgment about it. In the article, Rabinowitz makes an intriguing analogy describing Minter's work:

"It's as if you are amplifying these realities, because some of what happens in the image is like what happens to sound when you turn it up really loud. You may get feedback, but you still get really pure sound. That's the way I would characterize the image: really pure sound for the sincere and open receivers who might want to tune in."

I think this speaks perfectly to Minter's work. She produces images and paintings that are completely unique, and consistent with that, I think they produce unique responses that people don't normally experience. I agree with Rabinowitz's comment to some extent that Minter's work is "made for the art world. It's not made for the rest of the image-consuming public." I like that Minter derives meaning from doing things that disrupt the flow of convention. I think that this has the potential for progress and innovation. I admired how Minter's philosophy of "just work with your truth; tell your truth, no matter if it offends anybody or not, and it will be right."

No comments: