Wednesday, November 7, 2007

truth! by billboard?

Marilyn Minter has a fantastic name - it's dramatic, like her pictures and paintings. I like how her work is so raw, rich, and aesthetically satisfying. The subject matter seems completely counter-intuitive, but I think its pretty badass. I enjoyed the video of her describing her process and body of work. I appreciated when she said, "If I'm selling anything, it's a vision of what goes wrong." I like how she challenges fashion photography and the commercial media world by illustrating the human form with imperfections and flaws, and then forces people to interact with her work. She reflects on her work, "I like the idea of just having those moments that come out of nowhere and you don't know what they're about. It's my truth and I just get to do it on a larger scale with billboards." I like this idea of capturing a single moment, like in shit-kicker, which seems to challenge the boundaries of these shots that seemingly could be used for fashion purposes, but resist conforming to the unattainable perfection depicted commercial media and advertising. It has a raw, harsh, gritty feeling, which is really satisfying aesthetically when its juxtaposed to the glamour fashion shots .

No comments: