Sunday, November 4, 2007

safety envelopes

It was really fascinating to hear Mike talk about his work. The safety envelopes were amazing, and the digital manipulations that he used added an aesthetically captivating element to the pictures. The conception and execution of the project were incredibly cohesive, unique, and intriguing. I enjoyed how he was able to work from a medium of this mundane object, that seemingly most people encounter in their lives and don’t think very much about it. The manipulations added interesting elements that presented questions of form, color, patterns, and a third dimension. His discussion of private versus professional work, and approaches to each distinction of pictures was also fascinating. It was interesting to hear the challenges that he encounters every day in approaching different subject matter, and how that affects his professional work. The ethical questions that arise from the struggle to reconcile a delicate line between professional work and one’s private life struck me. These questions are ones that all photographers encounter and can’t ignore. It made me think about my work and how I approach making pictures. To what extent does the subject’s willingness to be a part of my work influence the picture and the meaning behind it? Is it ethical to photograph people who aren’t aware of it? Do you have to ask permission to take pictures of people in public? What is appropriate for me include in my work? These are issues that necessitate more than a ‘yes’ or ‘no,’ and ones which photographers encounter all the time. Mike’s discussion made me more aware of how important that boundary is, and how photographers must reconcile these questions personally and independently.

No comments: